On Wednesday 9th January 2019 the Academy held it’s first Careers Day for 5th and 6th Year students. The day was jam-packed with a variety of speakers from different industries. Some of our speakers on the day included those from fields such as Law, Medicine, Finance, Education Fitness, and Marketing.
The day was an interactive way for students to get a greater understanding of different areas of study and also discover career paths they may not have considered before. Feedback from the day was excellent and we look forward to hosting many more events like this for our students!
The most popular talk on the day covered studying Law and the various career paths it can lead to. The students heard from two different speakers from two different areas of the legal profession. Stuart McCarron spoke to the students about life working as a solicitor in the fast-paced law firm McCann Fitzgerald. Next up was John O’Regan, to share a different perspective, life working as a Barrister. Overall, the students were given a good overview of what it is like to actually study law as a college course and also the challenges and opportunities, once you have achieved that law degree!
The full list of speakers was as follows:
- Jane Last – Head of News, INM
- Jamie White – Entrepreneur, Leading Social
- Michelle McCarthy – Digital Consultant, Facebook
- Rachel Kearon – Head Pharmacist, Grants Pharmacy
- Stuart McCarron & John O’Regan – Solicitor & Barrister, McCann Fitzgerald & Law Library
- Emily Deasy – Oncologist, Mater Hospital
- Marcus Spring – Financial Services, Ram Capital
- Ross Lauder – Owner, Tech Net Solutions
- Bairbre McGlade – Art Director, Boys & Girls
- Karl O’Sullivan – Trainer, FlyeFit Gym
- Amy Green – Secondary Teacher, Loreto on the Green
To check out all the action from the day, check out the video below: